click a question to get an answer

Frequently Asked Questions

1. How many cars can I sell without becoming a licensed dealer?

Answer: 4 in a 12 month period.

2. I just want to go to the auction and buy a few cars, how do I get in?

Answer: You must own your own dealership or be affiliated with one, such as a salesman or buyer, unless it’s a city parish or state auction, which are posted in your local paper.

3. Who can I call for insurance?

Answer: The Insurance Commissioner at (225) 342-5900.

4. Where do I get my dealer plates?

Answer: Special Plate Division (225) 925-6371.

5. How do I get a finance license?

Answer: You will need to call the New Car Commission (504) 838-5207.

6. Can I sell cars from my front yard?

Answer: Only if it’s zoned for used car dealerships. You can call your local police jury or zoning commission to see if you are zoned properly. You can call your local courthouse to see if you have a zoning commission or policy jury.

7. I bought a used car from a new car dealerships used lot and now I have a complaint. What should I do?

Answer: Even though it was a used car that you purchased, a new car dealership is governed by the New Car Commission at (504) 838-5207.

8. How do I become a dealer?

Answer: There are several requirements to become a licensed dealer with this commission. you can read them if you click on the tab that says Forms and locate a link to a document called Initial New Dealer Requirements

9. How much does it cost?

Answer: There is a fee of $200.00 for your dealership license and $25.00 for your salesman’s license. These fees are due yearly.

10. How do I file a complaint with this commission?

Answer: Go to the link marked Complaints. You can download a Consumer Complaint Form from there and fax or mail it to the address provided with a copy of your Bill of Sale.

11. If I’m selling JUST ATVs, trailers, boats and/or boat motors is garage insurance still needed?

Answer: No